History of the Club
Although we know very little about the first Malmesbury Garden Club, we do know that it was one of the first societies to be affiliated to the Royal Horticultural Society in the early 1860s. It is very likely that most of the members were ladies and gentlemen who employed gardeners. From the late 1800s there was the Malmesbury Flower, Vegetable and Horse Show. The Society closed in 1930 and had to hold a rummage sale to clear its debts. Flower Shows were also arranged in Malmesbury by the Congregational Church and the E. K. Cole factory at Cowbridge.
In 1955 the Malmesbury Garden and Allotment Society was formed by twenty seven gardeners who set the first subscription at 2 shillings and 6 pence (12p). These members created the gardens by the Memorial Gates at lower High Street, and helped to organize those who needed allotments to feed their families. One of the Club's aims, as noted in the little red membership book, was to provide seeds for unemployed gardeners.
At the beginning of 1967 the Club held its AGM and was apparently preparing for a busy year when it all fell apart. Mr and Mrs Alf Poole kept the club running from their home until the present club was formed in January 1969, when thirty eight members attended a meeting. The name was changed to the Malmesbury Garden Club in March of that year.
The Club Today
The Club currently has a membership of over 200 and covers Malmesbury and the surrounding villages.
Talks are held monthly at the Malmesbury Town Hall from September to April inclusive. See the Meetings Page for more information about the talks for the current year.
Annual events include a Spring Plant Sale, an August Bank Holiday show and the October Harvest Supper. Information about these events can be found on the Events page.
The Membership Page details the many advantages of club membership including the opportunity to order seeds from Dobies at a substantial discount. Discounts from local merchants are also available.